How does one avoid this if deploying war files?  By definition, doesn't the
exploded directory need to be writable by the Tomcat process?
The only way I can think of is to not explode the war file, but that is a
performance hit.

> e) A custom listener for JMX connections (e.g. the JmxRemoteListener
>    that is not enabled by default) must be configured and be able to
>    load classes from Tomcat's common class loader (i.e. the custom JMX
>    listener must be placed in Tomcat's lib directory)
> f) The custom JMX listener must be bound to an address other than
>    localhost for a remote attack (it is bound to localhost by default).
>    If the custom JMX listener is bound to localhost, a local attack
>    will still be possible.

Are these two an AND case?
If using the JmxRemoteListener, wouldn't one normally deploy it in Tomcat/lib?

Finally, if you've taken care of a) & b), is this sufficient to mitigate the
problem, even if any/all of c) thru g) apply?