>In my previous employment, we did that.  Create a local user account and
set permissions to the Tomcat installation directory and optional
CATALINA_BASE (if you separated them).

I agree with this (done hundreds of times), and you can set rights
with xcacls. However this reminds us that usually the webapps
directory must be writable for auto-deployment, as are temp, work and
even conf (uploading of META-INF/context.xml to conf/Catalina)
directories.
This is good but not sufficient for complete security. For example,
one still could exploit a vulnerability and introduce jsps of his own.
Of course this jsp could not write outside anything of TOMCAT_BASE,
but your website could be defaced or give a backdoor to a database.