Chris

It turns out this was happening because the upgrade to Yosemite had deleted all
the files in /usr/include. I removed the replaced the folder /usr/include with
a link to
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/usr/include
 and then configure and make both worked.

Perhaps there is a different way to tell configure and make to use an
additional include folder, but I don’t know how to do that (I work on Java
mostly, not this stuff).

Thanks for your help

William

It’s compiled now so it