All,

When a Tomcat Windows Service won't start (with the super-helpful
"a service-specific error occurred"), where can I look for
detailed information about what happened?

(Please be kind, I'm not an everyday Windows administrator)

I installed the service myself using a process almost exactly like
this:

C:\> SET CATALINA_HOME=[path to Tomcat] C:\> SET
CATALINA_BASE=[path to my catalina.base] C:\> SET JAVA_HOME=[path
to Java] C:\> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\service.bat install myproject

I can see the Windows Service called "Apache Tomcat 7.0 myproject"
in the Services management console. Clicking "start" results in a
short wait and then the error about how the service itself had a
problem with no details.

 From the CLI, running "net start myproject" yields a similar
error.

Any suggestions?

So it looks like there is an architecture mismatch:
tomcat7.exe/procrun is 64-bit and the JVM is 32-bit. We are replacing
the JVM with a 64-bit one but I'm curious how to make Tomcat work on a
32-bit JVM on 64-bit Windows. I tried some Google searching and it was
mostly people re-configuring the JAVA_HOME to point to a 64-bit JVM
and not actually getting this to work.

IME you can install 32-bit TC on 64-bit windows as long as you have a 32-bit JVM installed. But you may have to manually select the 32-bit JVM rather than letting the installer use its defaults. It's been a year or so since I've done it, so I'm not 100% sure of the process.

We installed from the ZIP package. Does the ZIP package always have
64-bit tomcat7.exe/procrun packaged with it? Any chance to get 32-bit
binaries included as well?

I do know that I use the windows installer package, rather than the .zip package for TC.

Thanks,