you can create a filter that does response.setContentType("UTF-8") or whatever encoding you need

filip

Ramez Ghazzaoui wrote:
Hi,

I have exposed a specific Windows file system folder on my Tomcat HTTP 5.5.9 server box's local hard drive so I can access files in that folder remotely. For simplicity, let us say I've inserted the following Context in my server.xml:

       <Context path="/music"  docBase="c:\my_cds\music\"
trusted="false" crossContext="true" debug="1" reloadable="true">
       </Context>

When I use IE to browse to that URL, the Directory Listing (produced by Tomcat) displays properly. I can click on any file listed, and if the file's name is all in English characters then it downloads properly to the client machine.

However, if I click on a file that contains foreign characters, such as the ç in filename "Claude François - Quelquefois.mp3", the link does not function. Specifically, the link produced by Tomcat is:
   http://foobar.org/music/Claude%20Fran%C3%A7ois%20-%20Quelquefois.mp3
but unfortunately clicking on it produces a 404 error.

The problem in this example is surely with the %C3%A7 which is a substitute for 'ç' because if I rename the file on disk to say Francois (with a plain 'c') and refresh the page in IE, it becomes accessible.

Note: With the file name containing the word "François", even if I manually edit the URL in the address bar and replace the %C3%A7 with ç it still doesn't work.

How can I make Tomcat properly handle such file names? -- OR -- Is this a bug in Tomcat?

Thanks.

-Ramez

Filip Hanik