>> Actually, I received a little clarification on the monitoring software
>> (I didn't write it).  What it's trying to test is that the AJP port
>> itself is actually accepting connections.  With Apache in front in a
>> production system, it could forward the actual request to one of
>> several Tomcat boxes -- but we don't know which one from the outside.
>> The monitoring software is trying to test -- for each Tomcat instance
>> -- if it is accepting connections.  It used to send an "nmap" request,
>> but now sends essentially a "tcp ping" -- gets a response & moves on.
>

> In my case (homemade monitoring) i choosed to check mod_jk's log, after all
> mod_jk does indeed check the state of the ajp connector in tomcat.
>
> Hope this helps.
> [... ]

Thanks for the idea.  Can you tell me what you specifically look for
in the "mod_jk_log" file?  Do you look for the presence of something?
or the absence of something?
I only see 'negative' events in the logfile.  For example,
"all endpoints are disconnected, detected by connect check(1),
cping(0), send(0)"
which evidently, is when Tomcat releases a connection on its end.
(I set JkLogLevel = DEBUG, but still don't see any messages that look
like what I would want...)