On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 9:08 PM, Tay Kai Yang <kaiyang....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I have been reading up tomcat 8's user doc. But I have some problems
> understanding the setup of rewrite valve. I think I should add the rewrite
> valve class name and XML settings to /conf/server.xml, but I am not sure
> what to do next. Where should I place my rewrite.config, how do I activate
> rewrite my war context only?

See the second option here...

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/rewrite.html#Configuration

"It can also be in the context.xml of a webapp. The valve will then use a
rewrite.config file containing the rewrite directives, it must be placed in
the WEB-INF folder of the web application"

> Have anyone written a tutorial or can point me to a source for how-to?

The docs seem pretty thorough but if you need a tutorial you could look for
a mod_rewrite tutorial.  This valve is designed to be similar to
mod_rewrite, so a tutorial for that should be mostly applicable here.

Dan