"Rizwan Merchant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> We are running tomcat 5.5.16 on Fedora Core 4 OS. We just installed
> apache2.0 as a front to serve the pages using the mod_jk connector. There
> are 2 apps on tomcat (virtual hosting), one of which needs to be SSL
> enabled (lets say app1 and app2, app2 is the one that needs to be SSL
> enabled).
>
> Everything seems to be working fine on FireFox, both apps can be accessed
> fine. When we access www.app1.com pages are served as expected, and when
> we access www.app2.com the browser detects the certificate and switches to
> https
>
> But things are not well when it comes to IE. www.app1.com works the same
> as FF, and the app can be accessed. But when we try to access
> www.app2.com, IE shows the certificate and asks if we would like to
> proceed. When we click on 'Yes', the browser cannot find the app after
> that and returns "Page cannot be displayed error". Also, directly
> accessing the https site by using the URL https://www.app2.com:8443 works
> fine on IE as well.
> so its basically the switching from http to https for app2 that doesnt
> seem to work.

This used to pop up all the time when more people were using TC 4 :).  What
it happining is that IE gets confused easily when you redirect to to a
non-default SSL port.  This is especially true if the next page that you hit
also does a redirect.

The solution is to use the default SSL port of 443 (either that, or don't
use IE ;-).