Théo,

> On 1/20/15 12:42 PM, Théo Chamley wrote:
>> Thanks, found my problem by adding even more debugging than you.
>> So, it came down to my watchDir being in 644 and not 755.
>
> So, missing the execute bit?
>
>> Because of this, the "war.exists()" in the modified() function
>> of the WarInfo class returned false. What was misleading is that
>> the watchDir.listFiles(new WarFilter()) function (line 71 of
>> WarWatcher.java) was able to list the content of the directory…
>
> I'll check out that behavior: WarWatcher can certainly use some
> polishing as I've seen by looking at a bit of that code.

I have confirmed that Java can evidently list files in a directory
without execute permissions, but then the files don't "exist" as far
as File.exists is concerned:

$ java PermissionsTest 644 755 644/a_file 755/a_file
== File: 644
   exists: true
   canread: true
   canwrite: true
   canexecute: true
   children: [a_file]
== File: 755
   exists: true
   canread: true
   canwrite: true
   canexecute: true
   children: [a_file]
== File: 644/a_file
   exists: false
   canread: false
   canwrite: false
   canexecute: false
   children: null
== File: 755/a_file
   exists: true
   canread: true
   canwrite: true
   canexecute: true
   children: null

I'm actually really surprised that File.list() returns a list of files
for the directory that does not have execute permissions.

The problem with checking for "execute" permission is that it's a *NIX
implementation detail: on Windows, it would fail.

However, we *can* check to see that File.list() returns a list of
files that do exist. If the deployment directory is empty at startup,
there's no way to test this.

We could check in WarWatcher.check() to see if watchDir.listFiles
returns a list of non-existent files. There are some race-conditions
there but we could issue a WARN log message that something funny might
be going on.

Unfortunately, anything that's going to be perfect is going to be a
huge mess of platform-specific checks.

Can you log a Bugzilla enhancement for this? I'll add some checking to
WarWatcher as well as improved logging.