Am 21.01.2015 um 04:24 schrieb Leo Donahue:
On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

The Apache Tomcat team announces the immediate availability of Apache
Tomcat 8.0.17.

- The RemoteAddrValve and RemoteHostValve can now optionally include
   the port when filtering along with a new option to trigger
   authentication rather than denying access

There are no links on the changelog page for these and I was hoping to see
some details about why this option was added.
"Optionally trigger authentication instead of denial in RemoteAddrValve and
RemoteHostValve"

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Address_Filter
"The behavior when a request is refused can be changed to not deny but
instead set an invalid authentication header"

Example #3
"To allow unrestricted access to port 8009, but trigger basic
authentication if the application is accessed on another port:"

I'm trying to understand this kind of setup.

If an IP has been allowed to pass through via a Filter to a restricted
resource, wouldn't the user get the container configured authentication
dialog anyway?

The original use case was:

- the app does not have authentication configured
- the app is officially only available via an AJP connector
- for admin/testing purposes the app should be made available via an additional http connector but only for authorized people. Normal people must go via reverse proxy / AJP.

You can use the above for this kind of setup without "editing" the app itself

Regards,

Rainer