Good evening,

If you use Tomcat alone (without Apache or any other web servers), you'll
have to find a way to have it listen on the port 80 (there a some of them
available on the web).

Because Tomcat uses the port 8080 by default. In such a situation, you
can't remove the port number: no port number in the address bar means port
80! And as you use MacOS X, which is a Unix derivative, you can't just
modify Tomcat's server.xml and ask it  to use the port 80: on Unix, port
numbers < 1024 are reserved and a program needs the root privileges to bind
to them.

One more thing: any Tomcat distribution is able to set up a virtual host,
so you should definitively use the plain-vanilla Tomcat available
officially.

Regards,

Pierre