Ok thanks for the replies.  It's weird that everything works fine except in
the case that there are a bunch of requests in a short period and that's
the only time we see this issue - if we debug, slow it down, etc - no
problem.  Feels to me like a threading issue - but that can't be the case
on the (browser/js) client.

We may also try with jboss to see if it reproduces there - probably won't
get to that before Monday though.

I have no idea who would be adding the undefined - maybe RestyGwt?