Hi Chris,

Thanks for your input.

Re your points a+b:
  "You have put your <Realm> into conf/context.xml instead of into your web
application's META-INF/context.xml"

Actually neither ---- we define the <Realm> in
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/server.xml
That's also what I see in the Tomcat-docs:
   http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/realm-howto.html#DataSourceRealm

And I see no mention of META-INF anywhere in there.

Can you please elaborate what you're referring to?