Graham,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a working realm installation using basic authentication, which I
> need to switch to client certificate authentication. Having done so it
> doesn’t work, I just get “forbidden”, with no indication of the error
> involved.

Just to confirm, the 403 Forbidden page was rendered by Tomcat, not Apache
HTTPD?
I don't expect it is an Apache issue here - because you mentioned your
application worked before - I assume with the same URL, and no updates to
Apache HTTPD configuration.

Next thing I would probably increase the verbosity of the Realm logging, by
updating your conf/logging.properties, e.g.
org.apache.catalina.realm.level = ALL
org.apache.catalina.realm.useParentHandlers = true
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.level = ALL
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.useParentHandlers = true

You might want to disable buffering as well, e.g.
1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.bufferSize = -1

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
Neven