Christopher,

there are several questions in the same thread.. The first one about
SlowLoris was answered a long ago (
http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/is-tomcat-6-0-35-vulnerable-to-CVE-2007-6750-td5000085.html
). On the contrary, for fast connections opening (DOS), we can
configure the firewall in order to temporarily ban an IP if it has
reached something like 20 connections/second.
The problem becomes more difficult if we're facing a DDOS : if the
trafic is good old HTTP then we must challenge our clients (catpcha,
javascript) then we know who we have to ban (F5 products can do that,
or use Cloudflare/AKAMAI). If it's not HTTP (IP spoofing, DNS
recursive requests,..) we need to configure the router or the entrance
firewall. I believe there is no cheap solution to fight against a
300G/s flood.

>What about non-users?
Blocked by router/firewall if they were sending something really
stupid so I don't have any idea about how many of them. Google bots
and others, even not 1% of trafic. We had several crash because of too
much trafic when thousands of people were connecting at the same time
to get a special news from the company. This doesn't happen anymore
after buying servers 20 times more powerfull, but I'm not working
there anymore.