Tom,

On 4/6/15 10:15 PM, Tom Williamson wrote:
> Thank you (and the others who responded).   I was tearing my hair
> out trying to fix this.   Some background (if anyone cares):
>
> I have a small private site protected by SSL, which has run fine
> for 2 years with no maintenance at all.   A couple of months ago,
> after a Chrome update, it became inaccessible using Chrome.    I
> switched to Firefox to access it. Last Friday, it became
> inaccessible using Firefox.   The browser error messages indicated
> that my site's encryption was no longer acceptable:
>
> Chrome said: "A secure connection cannot be established because
> this site uses an unsupported protocol.  Error code:
> ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"
>
> Firefox said:  "Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common
> encryption algorithm(s). (Error code:
> ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)"
>
> Naturally, this pointed me in the direction of trying to change
> the cipher settings of my site.   SSL/TLS cipher settings and the
> whole SSL scheme are, shall we say, not clearly documented for
> someone who administers Tomcat once every two years.

Something like this?
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Security/Ciphers

> After a weekend of ripping out clumps of my hair and swearing at my
> computer, nothing had worked.   In desperation, before upgrading
> Java and Tomcat, I tried regenerating my self-signed certificate
> with new settings (SHA256 instead of SHA1) and that seems to have
> solved the problem.    Moral of the story:   Take browser error
> messages with a large grain of salt.

The cipher-mismatch was probably solved by something you changed in
your configuration. Re-generating the TLS certificate might have ended
some of the warnings about certs with a SHA-1 signature, but the
cipher-mismatch is a different beast and probably more important.

- -chris

> -----Original Message----- From: Terence M. Bandoian Sent: Monday,
> April 06, 2015 12:21 PM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: Re: Need
> configuration example for Tomcat 7.0.55 TLS configuration
>
> On 4/6/2015 2:11 AM, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
>> Tom,
>>
>> On 5.4.2015 3:06, Tom Williamson wrote:
>>> I would like to know if anyone has a working example of getting
>>> TLS 1.2 working on Tomcat 7.0.55, so that it can be accessed by
>>> the latest version of Chrome and Firefox.
>>
>> Which version of Java do you use? Make sure it is Java 7 or 8,
>> and if you already didn't upgrade, then upgrade to the latest
>> released version.
>>
>> Could you clarify do you need TLSv1.2 only, or you need TLSv1.2
>> among other TLS versions (v1 and v1.1)?
>>

>>> <Connector port="8484" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
>>> maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>>> keystoreFile="/path/mykeystore" keystorePass="password"
>>> clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" sslEnabledProtocols="TLS"
>>> />
>>
>> By specifing protocol="HTTP/1.1" you are using connector
>> auto-detection. Depending on the existance of Tomcat native DLL,
>> Tomcat will automatically select between APR connector and JSSE
>> connector. Those two connectors have completely different set of
>> options. The options you are using (keystoreFile, keystorePass),
>> are clearly indicating you wish to use JSSE connectors.
>> Therefore, to rule out present and future auto-detection
>> problems, I would recommend that you explicitly specify connector
>> you wish to use. E.g. for JSSE BIO connector that would be:
>>
>> protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
>>

>> Next, sslEnabledProtocols should specify exact TLS versions, so
>> if you need only TLSv1.2 use:
>>
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.2"
>>
>> and if you need e.g. all three versions, then omit attribute
>> sslEnabledProtocols, or use:
>>
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2"
>>

>>> So far based on the Tomcat 7.0 docs, I have tried the
>>> following configuration changes:
>>>
>>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLS" sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1"
>>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.1" sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.2"