Hello
Try to do a java thread dump and check the stuck threads (possibly by
comparing with the output of the tomcat server status page). Hopefully this
will give you a clue about what the threads are doing at that time.
If the application uses a database, you may see that they are stuck waiting
for the dB reply. It could also be that it's waiting for disk (perhaps you
have too much logging enabled) etc.

How do you simulate your users and do you have proper timing between
requests of each users?
If a real user on average take 10 seconds between requests and you have a
timing of 1 second between requests in your load test, you are simulating
10x the load you think..

Br