Hello,

This is reposted from [1] and [2]; the Debian maintainers of the package
suggested I ask for advice here.

I am running the Tomcat manager application via a Debian package
(tomcat8-admin), which deploys the webapp from
/usr/share/tomcat8-admin/manager. We ran into a problem hitting th
maximum upload size (configured as the multipart-config element in the
HTMLManager servlet block). This is easy to fix if you're willing to
edit Debian-packaged files, but this is incorrect: files in /usr/share
are owned exclusively by dpkg. Is there a way to override this element
from somewhere in tomcat's conf directory (which is symlinked to
/etc/tomcat8 in Debian)?

Searching for this problem on the web only results in suggestions about
editing web.xml directly (eg http://www.giantgeek.com/blog/?p=1000) or
about different programming approaches using context parameters (if I
understand correctly; I'm not especially familiar with the jargon).

If it's not possible to override this at the moment, then is this a bug
in Tomcat, or the Debian packaging?

Of course I could maintain a local version of the Debian package with
this overriden, but for such an apparently-obvious piece of configuration
that seems wrong too.

Thanks,
Dominic.

[1]