On 15/04/2015 03:28, Greg Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to upgrade my app to Tomcat 8 and Java 8 (1.8.0_40) on centos 7

Did you use the packaged version of Tomcat or did you download a
distribution from the ASF?

> I have a startup in /etc/rc.d/init.d script that uses the daemon  eg:
>
> daemon --user $tomcatuser --pidfile=$pidfile $command start
>
> When I run the script using the command line it runs as expected, but when
> it runs from the system-config-services is seems to hang and does not
> deploy the application.  Here are the exceptions from the startup:

I think the hang and the CNFE are two separate issues.

> 15-Apr-2015 09:10:14.677 FINE [localhost-startStop-1]
> org.apache.catalina.util.Introspection.loadClass Failed to load class [{0}]
>  java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: websocket.drawboard.DrawboardEndpoint

The [{0}] indicates a Tomcat bug. It should be providing the class name
to the error message. Not a big deal as we can see it from the exception
but I'll get that fixed anyway.

Those classes should be part of the examples web application. It is odd
that they can't be found. Could you provide the full stack trace for one
of these exceptions please.

<snip/>

> here is the output when starting:

<snip/>

> INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor
> /opt/apache-tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml

Take a thread dump when Tomcat hangs. I suspect that the session manager
is waiting for entropy (for session ID generation). See
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo/FasterStartUp?highlight=%28entropy%29#Entropy_Source

Mark