I trying to find a service script (init.d) that I can use to start, stop, and
check status of my tomcat7 instances.  We run multiple instances of tomcat of a
single server. I have found scripts out that where the status call checks the
ps table to get the pid to determine the status.

I thought that tomcat wrote out a .pid file into the file system, but I do not
see it in my tomcat instance folder structure. What is the proper way to manage
the pid ... do I get it from the process table via ps or do I write it out to
the file system?

Thanks, Eric