>Really? Tomcat 6.0 replaced the server/lib/, shared/lib/, and
common/lib/ directories in favor of a single, unified lib/ directory.
That doesn't strike you as an important change?
Again, you are right. Single is much better, but I still only needed one link
for the SQL jar and moving that to lib from shared made little difference to me
conceptually.

>I'm curious as to why you are using hard links instead of symlinks. If
you copy a new file over a hard link, you un-couple it from the rest
of the series of hard links. If you do the same with symlinks, the
result is probably more what you were expecting. There are other
disadvantages with hard links including not really knowing that it's a
link (symlinks are obvious) and they can't span across filesystems.
Again correct, but for a while tomcat did not allow me to have symbolic links
(or I did not know about the way to overcome that in the xml file). In any
case, I solved the problem with a shell script that makes sure the hard links
are correct AFTER a complete compilation set is done. The other problem (which
may or may not be a problem - I have not tried in a while) is making a WAR
file. I cannot have symbolic links then. The target machine running the
application just gets the WAR file and NOT the directory containing the
assorted jars. But perhaps I should re-explore that one.
And by the way, you can edit the hard link file AND all versions change. You
can also "cat >file" and all hard links remain. It is ONLY when you move a file
over one of the links that the hard links are unlinked. Curious!

     On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:47 AM, Christopher Schultz