Thanks for the confirmation Mark. That is what I thought I'd gleaned from
Tomcat instances.
I gather from #2 above, that having the secure setting on the http port, it
won't really matter if the <security-constraints> exists in the web.xml or not,
because Tomcat will assume it is already secure.  Ergo, I don't have to get the
developers to remove it.
That is fine with me.
Thanks again.
Jeff