Agharta,

On 6/25/15 10:30 AM, agharta wrote:

> Why not just use the libraries that Tomcat already provides? Are
> you using a Tomcat-specific API for something? If so, what is that
> API you are using?
>
>> I'm not using any particular tomcat-specific api (except
>> catalina-ws, needed by jax-ws web services). Simple,
>> catalina-ws.jar is not provided with default tomcat installation,
>> but should be placed manually.
>
>> To do that, i should: 1) Detect tomcat version (7.x, 8.x) 2) Get
>> the right catalina-ws.jar 3) Place (replace in case of upgrade)
>> the catalina-ws.jar 4) Keep tomcat<->catalina-ws track version
>> for future upgrades.

Do you have an installer process of any kind, or are all upgrades done
by hand? Detecting the version of Tomcat should be easy, and then you
just have to make sure the various catalina-ws.jar files are
available. Since you can always pull-down the distro from the ASF,
they should always be available (unless you are on a server that does
not allow outgoing HTTP connections to the outside world). You could
also package all of the catalina-ws.jar versions necessary in your
installer...

>> I have about 80 customers with about 20 different versions of
>> tomcat (7.x & 8.x.....too much, i known.....) and i'm searching a
>> quick update method. Something like stop > copy/replace jars and
>> wars > cleanup >  start.

If you are willing to package one version of catalina-ws.jar, you
could package other versions as well.

Are you managing the Tomcat installation for your customers? If so,
why not upgrade them to a common version? If not, why not just tell
your customer that a prerequisite of your product is that
catalina-ws.jar is installed and up-to-date?

>> I hope I have been clear, sorry if not.....
>
>> An offtopic question: do you known why catalina-ws.jar is an
>> optional lib??

Because it's not a part of the main supported APIs: Servlet, JSP, EL,
and Websocket.

I'm not entirely sure if catalina-ws.jar contains anything
Tomcat-version-specific. You could test your own web application
against that kind of thing if you wanted to be sure. I'm sorry, but I
don't know the answer.

You could always use another JSR109 implementation -- one that wasn't
sensitive to the Tomcat version. Or use something like Apache Axis2
which, while not being JSR-109-compliant (I think), still supports web
services. It's a bit old, though.

There is also Apache CXF, which is under active development and
probably supports all of the new-fangled things web-services types
expect from a support library.