I went through the logs in much greater detail today and I noticed when
the server starts I get multiple Spring loads in the log:

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log Initializing Spring root
WebApplicationContext

And the number of times the log entry appears correlates to the number of
executions, which makes sense.

It looks like I need to find out why the spring config is loaded multiple
times.

I have a context.xml in the META-INF directory which sets up a db
container and jndi datasource realm, could this be the issue?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context URIEncoding="UTF-8" antiResourceLocking="false" path="/pain">
  <Resource     auth="Container"
        driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
        logAbandoned="true"
        testOnBorrow="true"
        validationQuery="select count(*) from types"
        maxActive="100"
        maxIdle="30"
        maxWait="10000"
        name=“jdbc/myDB"
        username=“xxx"
        password=“xxxx"
        removeAbandoned="true"
        removeAbandonedTimeout="60"
        type="javax.sql.DataSource"

url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/my_data_v1?useUnicode=true&amp;characterE
ncoding=UTF-8&amp;zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull"/>

  <Realm        className="org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm"
        dataSourceName=“jdbc/myDB"
        debug="1"
        localDataSource="true"
        roleNameCol="status"