On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Charles Richard <
charle...@thelearningbar.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 8:36 AM, Charles Richard <
> > charle...@thelearningbar.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We are currently using a product called Terracotta to do session
> > > fail-over/replication but are considering moving away from this product
> > as
> > > it doesn't seem to support Java 7 and Tomcat 7.
> > >
> > > What products exist out there that would help with session
> > > fail-over/replication?  I only know of 3:
> > >
> > > - Terracotta
> > > - Hazelcast
> > > - Tomcat native session failover (is not recommended for many tomcat
> > nodes)
> > >

> > I think that recommendation is just for the DeltaManager.  You can use
> the
> > BackupManager with larger numbers of nodes since it's not replicating
> > session data to all of the nodes in the cluster.
> >
> > http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/cluster-manager.html
> >
> > In addition to that Redis and Memcached are two popular ways of sharing
> > session state.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> >  In the link you sent, it mentions the following:
>
> "Downside of the BackupManager: not quite as battle tested as the delta
> manager. "

Naturally this statement makes sense because DeltaManager is the default.
More people are going to use it.  BackupManager has been around for quite a
while though.  Looking at SVN, it's been almost 9 years.  I'd say that
gives it a certain amount of credibility.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc8.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/ha/session/BackupManager.java?revision=433703&view=markup

> Are you aware of companies using this for their Tomcat farms?

I have worked with multiple customers using it in production.  Not as
common as DeltaManager, but it's being used.

Dan