> My bad.  I recalled the error wrong...it's 408.
>
> HTTP Status 408 - The time allowed for the login process has been exceeded.
> If you wish to continue you must either click back twice and re-click the
> link you requested or close and re-open your browser

Error 408 means that your HTTP session has expired.
(or similar problem such as if the request does not contain a correct
sessionid cookie)

Effectively, Tomcat does not know where to redirect your user after
successful authentication, as that address (the original request) is
kept in the session.

As a workaround against session expirations it is possible to
configure a default landing address
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/valve.html#Form_Authenticator_Valve

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko