Laurence,

On 7/14/15 2:32 PM, Laurence Cohen wrote:
> We are suddenly having a problem with our Tomcat WebApp connecting
> to the database.  Unfortunately I can't give you the whole thing
> because the error is on a network that is restricted, and I can't
> take anything off of it without writing it down and retyping it.  I
> figured I would give you what information I can, and see if anyone
> has any ideas.
>
> The first error before the stack trace is "Error preloading the
> connection pool".

Hmm. I don't see the string "preloading" anywhere in Tomcat 7. Can you
ask the engineers if they can find that string in their own code?

> The last error is "FATAL Database is starting up".

That's definitely not a Tomcat error message.

> Unfortunately we do not have access to the database server, but I
> can tell you it's Postgresql.  We are running Tomcat 7.054.  I'm
> not sure of the Postgresql version because it is not under our
> control.  The database admins say they see us connect for a couple
> of seconds and then we disconnect. This is on both of the webapps
> that we are running.

Unfortunately, I think just about anything could be "the problem". I
might start by checking to see if the configuration for the connection
pool might try to make more connections than Postgres is willing to
allocate to the user (e.g. you are only allowed to open 10 connections
but you are trying to open 15). In that case, the connection might
fail and the pool (which is trying to fill itself) might report a
failure to initialize.

This may or may not have anything to do with Tomcat; it depends upon
the pool you are using, how you are initializing it, etc.

Try to get some more information and we might be able to help a little
more.