I have a large webapp that processes XML data into JSPs using XPath/JSTL plus some of my own custom tags. The app is working fine on two separate Tomcat systems (one is TC7 and one is TC8). I copied the app to a third system (TC 7.0.57) and I'm having problems with all of the x:set variables on all pages. In the JSP code I simply do:

<x:set var="myVar" select="$doc/aaaa/bbbb/@cccc" />

I then use ${myVar} to insert the string into the HTML. In the first two TC environments, it inserts the appropriate data from the XML attribute into the HTML as expected. In the third environment, it does not recognize the "${myVar}" as a variable and simply puts ${myVar} in the HTML instead of substituting the data value.

I'm including all of the XPath/JSTL taglib jars in the WAR file. And I don't see any stray XPath/JSTL jars in the TC library or anything. So theoretically it should work the same. I could have missed something. But I don't see anything obvious. Obviously, though, something is different.

Any ideas why it won't substitute in this one environment only? Any idea where to start looking? What code is responsible for recognizing the ${...} syntax?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jerry