Jeffrey,

On 9/4/15 3:31 PM, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Schultz
>> [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net] Sent: Friday, September 04,
>> 2015 12:46 PM To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: Multiple JSESSIONID cookies being presented.
>>
> Jeffrey,

> I would expect this behavior: you have one ROOT app (cookie
> path=/) and one APP2 app (cookie path=/APP2). Your browser will
> send both cookies to /APP2 because / is a prefix of /APP2.

> The POST to j_security_check?
>
>> No

So... where does the POST go?

> Are you using request.encodeURL() to build the <form> action URL,
> or are you building it manually?
>
>> EncodeUrl.  And a check of a couple of sites, both linux and
>> windows, shows that the jsessionid is being added to the action
>> by EncodeUrl, regardless of cookie settings. So far, it is always
>> the APP2 sessionID.

I'm not surprised that the session id is being added to the URL
regardless of cookie settings, because at that point, Tomcat might not
know for sure if the client can support cookies. (I'm sure there are
cases where it's obvious that cookies are in fact supported, but
Tomcat is not detecting it.)

I'm surprised that Tomcat would use the "wrong" session id for
URL-rewriting when presenting the login screen. Are you saying that,
when showing the login page for /APP2, Tomcat will:

a. Place a session identifier in the URL with value X
b. Return a Set-Cookie response header for JSESSIONID with value Y

Where X != Y?

> I believe Tomcat prefers the Cookie-based session id to anything
> coming-in from the URL, and I do know it will search all
> JSESSIONID cookies for any that match a valid session (not just the
> first one) in the current application. So logging-in should ...
> always work.

> You should make sure that anything that doesn't require
> authentication specifically mentions that in web.xml, otherwise
> you'll get weird things happening like that.
>
>> We don't actually use Tomcat container authentication at all.

Okay, that's good information to have. But you do use Tomcat's
session-tracking mechanisms, right?

> Not really... other than changing from ROOT to APP1 or whatever.
> Overlapping URL spaces for applications leads to tears.
>
>> I could do that, though we'd like to keep it so that if no
>> context is specified we still go to APP1, so the user's don't
>> have to change all of their bookmarks. Perhaps with a redirect?

That kind of thing is tough to do, but possible. Something like this:

# Ignore requests to /APP1
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/APP1
RewriteRule .* - [L]

# Ignore requests to /APP2
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/APP2
RewriteRule .* - [L]

# Re-write other requests
RewriteRule (.*) /APP1\1 [R,L]

Be very careful with the above: it's completely untested and can put
your clients into a redirect loop if you aren't careful and test all
cases. Also, the [R] flag will do odd things with POST requests, so
either make sure nobody POSTs to one of those URLs or expand the
configuration to properly-handle POSTs.