On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 7:49 AM, André Warnier (tomcat) <a...@ice-sa.com>
wrote:

> On 11.09.2015 18:24, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>
>> From: Leo Donahue [mailto:donahu...@gmail.com]
>>> Subject: Re: heap thrashing
>>>

>> I see this topic come up from time to time on the list.  Can someone point
>>> me to what heap thrashing looks like?
>>>

>> Is heap thrashing a very "closely spaced" saw tooth pattern?
>>>

>> Should have mentioned that "heap thrashing" does not have a strict
>> definition.  Often, it's used to describe the heap itself expanding and
>> contracting in a cyclic manner.  This is most easily avoided by setting the
>> min and max heap size limits to the same value.
>>
>> What you have appears to be just very rapid object creation and garbage
>> collection.  Using a larger heap (if you have the RAM for it) could help to
>> reduce the frequency of collections.  Fixing the webapp to not consume so
>> much space would be better, of course.
>>
>>   - Chuck
>>

> In terms of looking at the webapp code which may generate that kind of
> behaviour, while searching for an example on the www, I came across this
> blog post :
>
> http://steve-yegge.blogspot.de/2006/03/execution-in-kingdom-of-nouns.html
>
> Independently of what one may think about the author's opinions and
> treatment of the matter, I find the prose beautiful and witty.
> The pseudo-java code example is of course tongue-in-cheek and contrived,
> but I have seen similar code in the real world, and it would probably
> produce the kind of phenomenon which Leo is seeing.

André,

Nice article, hard to believe that was nearly 10 years ago.  I also see the
overuse of nouns as verbs and factory patterns that are only producing a
single object and will never add additional ones. I see people using
"private static" in place of a singleton pattern.  I see people still
catching Throwable and deferring exceptions as RuntimeExceptions instead of
declaring them.  I digress.

Leo