Hi,

Your Permanent Generation is running out of memory, this is a special space in the vm memory, where the vm stores all of its internal data (classes, etc.). You should pass -XX:+PrintGCDetails to the VM to see how much perm-space is used. If you have a lot of third-party-libraries etc. your permanent space might be to small, adjust using:

        -XX:MaxPermSize=<newvalue>

see here for options:

        http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/VMOptions.html

regards,

        Ingo

Peter Neu schrieb:
Hello,

I have many memory consuming apps on my tomcat server. I a lot pdf & excel
generation. So every other week I get this error

 java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

I know the root of this error is that the garbage collector does not clean
up and memory allocated
for java object generation is used up. But what can I do about it? If I
allocate more memory I'm only postponing

the problem. So do I have to shutdown every day my tomcat server to ensure
the deletion of unused objects or

Will only a tomcat cluster help in this case? I also read the archives but
could not find any useful explenation.

I defined max memory usage for 2 Gig with the Catalina_Opts variable in my
start script. CATALINA_OPTS="-Xmx2048m -Xms1536m"

Tomcat 5.5.9

Java 1.5.0_04-b05

SuSE Linux ES 9

Cheers,

Pete

SCHWERWIEGEND: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor10" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor11" Exception in thread "TP-Processor1"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor7" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor6" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor2" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor12" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor5" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor9" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor16" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor15" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor14" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor13" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor20" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor18" Exception in thread "TP-Processor19"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor17" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor24" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor23" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor22" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor21" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor28" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor27" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor26" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor25" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor32" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor30" Exception in thread "TP-Processor29"
Exception in thread "TP-Processor31" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor36" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor35" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor34" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor33" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor39" Exception in thread "TP-Processor37"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor40" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor38" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor44" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor43" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor41" Exception in thread "TP-Processor48"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor42" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor46" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor47" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor45" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor52" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor51" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor50" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

--
PIRONET NDH AG
Dipl. Inf. Ingo Rockel - Produktentwicklung