I don't have a solution or advice to contribute, but I hope I can spur along
some more discussion on the issue.

We struggle with the problem of pets versus cattle also.

We have a farm of pets right now.

Our team is still evaluating at what level in our infrastructure our tomcat
servers will live.

Tomcat is its own container server, able to deploy and undeploy multiple apps
all by itself. Making docker containers of tomcats which will then run multiple
webapps-- would we deploy a whole container, pre-loaded with war files? That
gives us the power of docker but eliminates the power of tomcat's own
deployment. Do we create empty tomcat docker containers and fill them with
warfiles once they are running? That gives us long-running docker containers
which, from what I understand, misses the point of docker. Or do we go old
school and use chef/puppet/ansible to create cattle servers in our private
cloud without docker altogether. They will be long-running, but we will likely
pay a price at server creation time.

Plus, all the cool kids are using docker these days.

So were stuck in this limbo, having to make a serious design choice.