Samanth,

On 12/15/15 2:52 PM, samanth marisetty wrote:
> I am trying to externalize the database properties config file.

Are you using Tomcat to configure your database, or some other component
(e.g. Spring, Hibernate, etc.)?

> I have created a folder env-conf and set a -Dconfig property in the
> catalina.sh, to point to the config file.

If you want to set system properties, it would be better to set them in
bin/setenv.sh instead of bin/catalina.sh, because setenv.sh will never
be changed by a Tomcat release.

Specifically, what property did you set, and what value did you use?

> Tomcat does not pickup this file, instead it picks the properties
> file from the .war.

Which one? I don't believe Tomcat reads properties files /at all/ for
configuring a database connection, so this is likely to be whatever
component you are using (e.g. Spring, etc.) that is making a mistake.

> How would I be able to pick up the external properties file, instead
> of the one bundled in the war file?

You can probably fix this with a few tweaks to the effective class
loader configuration, but it largely depends upon the answers to tbe
questions above.

-chris