On 16/12/15 14:58, l.pe...@senat.fr wrote:
> I have in some of my apps cron-like tasks, scheduled by libs such as
> quartz.
>
> As I am also an happy user of the parallel deployment feature of tomcat,
> I was wondering whether, without special privileges such as those of the
> "admin" webapps, I could programatically determine if a webapp is the
> "top" version of a family of webapps.
>
> So, if webapp versions :
> * 1.2.1
> * 1.2.2
> * 1.2.3
>
> are deployed, I should be capable to determine that 1.2.3 is the latest
> and only run the scheduled task in this last one.
>
> Is there any API to achieve that ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ludovic

I would expect a scheduler like Quartz to run background threads that
might give you class-loader leaks when you un-deploy the application.

I had a similar requirement to yours but compounded by having redundant
tomcat servers. I went the low-tech route of having a heartbeat servlet
pinged by an external cron job that way only a single server (and the
most up-to-date parallel deploy) runs the heartbeat code.

                        Stephen

|epcc| Dr Stephen P Booth             Principal Architect       |epcc|
|epcc| s.bo...@ed.ac.uk               Phone 0131 650 5746       |epcc|