From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 11:02 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Problem with clientAuth SSL connection

David,

On 1/12/16 7:43 AM, David Sills wrote:
> All:
>
> I'm trying to set up clientAuth SSL connection between a batch process and
> Tomcat (7.0.55, Java 8 64-bit server). One-way SSL works wonderfully. I set
> up a server certificate (self-signed) and used this configuration in Tomcat
> (server.xml):
>
>     <Connector port="${https.port}"
> protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
>                maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https"
>                secure="true" sslProtocol="TLS"
>                keystoreFile="conf/dsikeystore.jks"
>                keystorePass="keystorePassword"
>                clientAuth="false"
>     />
>
> In the client, I used
>
> java -cp ws-client.jar -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=clientkeystore2.jks
> -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=changeme
> com.datasourceinc.abis.ws.pds.ServiceClient
>
> It seemed to me pretty straightforward that to set up client
> authentication, I would need to
>

> 1.       Generate another (self-signed) certificate
>
> 2.       Export that certificate to a *.crt file
>
> 3.       Create another keystore on the server
>
> 4.       Import the certificate from #2
>
> 5.       Mark that in the configuration as the trust store
>
> So,
>
>     <Connector port="${https.port}"
> protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
>                maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https"
>                secure="true" sslProtocol="TLS"
>                keystoreFile="conf/dsikeystore.jks"
>                keystorePass="keystorePassword"
>                clientAuth="true"
>                truststoreFile="conf/clienttrustkeystore.jks"
>                truststorePass="changeme"
>     />

Pretty much, yes.

> And change the client (which has the original self-signed certificate)
> thus
>
> java -cp ws-client.jar -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=clientkeystore.jks
> -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=changeme
> -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=clientkeystore2.jks
> -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=changeme
> com.datasourceinc.abis.ws.pds.ServiceClient

No, the client doesn't need a trust store. The client needs to specify the
keystore where the client certificate exists. Also, the client needs to know
which key to present to the server. Is the client you are using known to work
correctly? I'm tempted to recommend that you use another tool known to do
client-certs correctly, just in case your home-brewed tool is not doing what it
should.

> [...]
>
> java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: recv failed
>         at org.apache.axis.AxisFault.makeFault(AxisFault.java:101)
>         at
> org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:154)
>
>         at
> org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrategy.java:32)
>         at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:118)
>         at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.invoke(SimpleChain.java:83)
>         at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:165)
>         at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invokeEngine(Call.java:2784)
>         at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2767)
>         at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2443)
>         at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2366)
>         at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:1812)
>         at
> com.datasourceinc.abis.ws.pds.server.generated.IRS_PDS_ABIS_ServiceSOAP12BindingStub.update(IRS_PDS_ABIS_ServiceSOAP12BindingStub.java:164)
>         at
> com.datasourceinc.abis.ws.pds.PdsServiceClient.main(PdsServiceClient.j
> ava:47) Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Software caused
> connection abort: recv failed
>         at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
>         at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.InputRecord.readFully(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.InputRecord.read(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.waitForClose(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.HandshakeOutStream.flush(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.sendChangeCipherSpec(Unknown Source)
>         at
> sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.sendChangeCipherAndFinish(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverHelloDone(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(Unknown
> Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.axis.components.net.JSSESocketFactory.create(JSSESocketFactory.java:186)
>         at
> org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.getSocket(HTTPSender.java:191)
>         at
> org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.writeToSocket(HTTPSender.java:404)
>         at
> org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:138)
>
>         ... 11 more
>
> Does anyone have any ideas that might help?
-chris