Andre,

Thanks for getting granular. Let me explain to the items which could have
sounded to be confusing..

The JVM in discussion is Oracle JVM.

OS is the 64bit Windows 2012. - OS has 6GB - OS should not impose a limit on
memory (Only in this specific case, as OS is 64bit and total amount of memory
available is 6GB) unless the memory consumption by other processes does not get
impacted or grows near 5GB - 6GB limit.

>From my earlier posts ---

        i. It is a Tomcat / Application question as well, as memory default can
be configured in the application config. - Big typo error, it should have been
Cannot be configured.
        ii. Thanks again, to make things clear. When I meant default, what is
the default min and max that is given to an application if there nothing
defined in the JVM ? - I meant the JVM heap memory       given to the
application, which is configured in the tomcat instance.

With respect to the Oracle documentation, if the -Xms and Xmx are not set. The
max will be set to 1/4th which is around 1.5GB of 6 GB   .

To your point on "There is no Tomcat-Level configuration option" - If I have 2
tomcat instance on the same OS (Tomcat 1 and Tomcat 2). I can define Xms and
Xmx in catalina.sh or setenv.sh in each of the tomcat instances. For example,
if Tomcat 1 is configured to have 1GB, JVM heap size for Tomcat 1 will have 1GB
and if Tomcat 2 is configured to 2 GB, then JVM heap size for Tomcat 2 will get
2GB.

Yes, it is clear and thanks for explaining.

-Gokul