Chris,

Okay. You said you were closing the connection pool, though:

On 3/4/16 2:13 PM, Chris Brown wrote:
> I added a ServletContextListener to our web service.  On the
> contextDestroyed method we destroy the connection pools.  Our web
> service uses 2 connection pools.

So, how, precisely, are you shutting those pools down?

> There is no documentation on the threads and what they are for in
> oracle or tomcats documentation.

Tomcat would not contain information on a Vendor's product. A quick
Google search for "oracle ojdbc7 ucp-worker-thread" yields the
following very relevant result:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9671270/oracle-ucp-driver-and-tomcat-
threads-failing-to-stop

Also, searching for the OJDBC manual has a FAQ which mentions threads
and their lifetimes:
http://www.oracleimg.com/technetwork/articles/sql/jdbc-faq-090281.html

> The threads are not shutting down and they stay alive when the web
>  service is shut down. I know this because I count the number of
> threads each time the web service context is destroyed and number
> keeps growing for each deployment of the .war file.

Oh, I believe you that they are piling up.

Is there a particular reason you are using Oracle's connection pool
rather than the one provided by the container (Tomcat)? Tomcat's pool
won't leak like this one does. Then again, the Oracle driver itself
might still leak, but it will be less leaky.

It's possible that the driver needs to be loaded before the
application in order to avoid pinning the ClassLoader into memory.
That can be done with Tomcat's configuration, but I'd only recommend
that you do this if nothing else is working.

I'd still like to know that those other threads (e.g. Thread-0) are doin
g.