Yuval,

On 3/8/16 4:04 PM, Yuval Schwartz wrote:
> @WebServlet(name="SomeServlet", urlPatterns={"/help/why-no-work",
> "/iw/help/למה-לא-עובד",
> "/iw/help/%D7%9C%D7%9E%D7%94-%D7%9C%D7%90-%D7%A2%D7%95%D7%91%D7%93"}
> (the last pattern is the same as the second to last, just encoded)

I think that last pattern will not be useful, because Tomcat should be
doing the encoding internally. For example, if you wanted to map a
servlet to "/foo bar" you wouldn't have to URL-encode it like /foo%20bar
in the XML file. But I haven't actually tried it.

(from your other post):

On 3/8/16 5:35 PM, Yuval Schwartz wrote:
> I did this and it worked:
> The english patterns show up fine, as expected.
> The hebrew pattern shows up as a bunch of question marks (eg:
> ????-?????-????)
> The URLEncoded pattern shows up as wierd symbols (eg: diamond shape,
> tm symbol).

Hmm, that could certainly be a problem with the tool itself (Netbeans?).
Can you try running with jconsole just to have a (potentially) clean
environment?

The encoded pattern showing up as weird symbols sounds .. odd as well.
Actually, everything about this sounds weird.

On 3/9/16 4:38 AM, Yuval Schwartz wrote:
> Are you suggesting I convert all of my source files to UTF-8? Will
> all new files that are created now be in UTF-8 at least? Because I
> just created a new servlet for testing purposes (after the
> -J-Dfile.encoding property was added) and hebrew urls still aren't
> found.

You definitely don't need to convert your files to UTF-8, but you might
instead want to use the encoding-proof Unicode escapes instead of the
raw Hebrew in your source files.

You can use native2ascii to do this for you:

input.txt
/iw/help/למה-לא-עובד

$ native2ascii -encoding utf8 input.txt
/iw/help/\u05dc\u05de\u05d4-\u05dc\u05d0-\u05e2\u05d5\u05d1\u05d3

So those are the \u Unicode escapes that you should use in your code.
Try using those and rebuilding to see if it improves anything.

-chris