Apache Tomcat 7.0.42 running under jsvc against jdk1.7.0.45
on 64 bit Ubuntu Linux 12.10 built and deployed with Ant in Eclipse
JUNO set to 1.7 compliance

Please don't moan at me for using JSP scriptlets, I'm just doing some
throwaway prototyping so save the bandwidth. Thank You

I have been switching on Strings in 1.7 projects for a while now, I
use it in application classes running on the above with no problems at
all.

This morning I tried switching on Strings in jsp and got the following
compiler error

org.apache.jasper.JasperException Unable to compile class for JSP
etc etc
Cannot switch on a value of type String for source level below 1.7 ...

Hmm, interesting

Configured Jasper to compile against 1.7 and it all worked fine

It seems a little strange that running Tomcat against 1.7 wouldn't
automatically configure Jasper to compile against 1.7 ... doesn't it ?

Or does it?

I'm sure there is a good reason, I just can't think of it :-(

Lyallex