You should definitely go to an Apache https help list, or perhaps here : http://modwsgi.readthedocs.io/en/develop/finding-help.html

I do not see any Rewrite or redirects in what you show below, although maybe the AliasMatch below could be considered as a form of internal redirect (but not one going back to the browser). Nor do I see below anything which could explain a difference of behaviour depending on where the client is coming from.

If you are adamant that there is no front-end proxy, and if what you show below is all there is, then I must suspect that it is something at the level of mod_wsgi which treats insiders and outsiders differently. Maybe your python wsgi scripts expect some form of authentication from outsiders, and send them back to the homepage if they don't pass muster ? (and maybe the "WSGIPassAuthorization" below has something to do with that).
(I'm just guessing heavily here, I don't know mod_wsgi at all).

But again, this is the Tomcat Users list, and we don't want to be using their bandwidth for dealing with issues for which the Apache httpd guys and the mod_wsgi guys are certainly more up to par. The comments above were made here just in a spirit of oecumenical and brotherly love for our non-Tomcat Apache colleagues.