On 23.05.2016 15:08, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2016 14:54:14 +0200
André Warnier (tomcat) <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

On 23.05.2016 14:48, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2016 14:39:25 +0200
André Warnier (tomcat) <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

On 23.05.2016 14:25, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2016 13:49:35 +0200
André Warnier (tomcat) <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

On 20.05.2016 12:54, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
When I access the status page everything works fine but when I try to access
the manager page, I get the following error:

This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.
Try:
Reloading the page
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

I can not find any reasons for this in the default config, what am I missing?

And in the Tomcat logfiles ?

Nothing, except for this in the access log:

[23/May/2016:14:23:22 +0200] "GET /manager HTTP/1.1" 302 -
[23/May/2016:14:23:22 +0200] "GET /manager/ HTTP/1.1" 302 -
[23/May/2016:14:23:22 +0200] "GET /manager/html HTTP/1.1" 401 2473

What's strange is that if I try from the same subnet as the Tomcat is installed
in, then it works. But not from another subnet...

I don't remember if you ever posted the Tomcat version which you are using.
In case it is 8.0.x, have a look here :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/manager-howto.html#Configuring_Manager_Application_Access
(The paragraph starting with : "In addition to the password restrictions,..")
Check with the on-line docs relevant to your version, if there isn't something
like that
configured on your system.

Yes, we are using version 8.0.x
And last week I just downloaded the new version 8.0.35 and added my user in the
tomcat-users.xml file and tried on an empty tomcat server and I got
the same result...

And did you really check what I asked you to check above ?
A 401 response (as shown by the above log) means "forbidden".
If you say that from some place you can access it, and from others not, then
there is
somewhere something that makes a difference based on your client's IP address.

Yes, I read the same page last week. I even tried to add a file

where ?

 containing:

<Context privileged="true">
          <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
                 allow="127\.0\.0\.1"/>
</Context>

with my ip address without any change...

And yes, I know the logic behind the error message but I can not find any logic
to why it's happening.. Also if /status works, why wouldn't /manager ?

And sorry, I was wrong above. A 401 response means really this :

quote
10.4.2 401 Unauthorized

The request requires user authentication. The response MUST include a WWW-Authenticate header field (section 14.47) containing a challenge applicable to the requested resource. The client MAY repeat the request with a suitable Authorization header field (section 14.8). If the request already included Authorization credentials, then the 401 response indicates that authorization has been refused for those credentials. If the 401 response contains the same challenge as the prior response, and the user agent has already attempted authentication at least once, then the user SHOULD be presented the entity that was given in the response, since that entity might include relevant diagnostic information. HTTP access authentication is explained in "HTTP Authentication: Basic and Digest Access Authentication" [43].
unquote

In other words, it means "for accessing this page, you need to authenticate".
So, if your browser is allowed to use HTTP Basic authentication, it should pop up a login dialog.
Does it ?
If it does not, then :
- are you inside some company LAN, within a Windows Domain ?
- if yes, is your browser IE, and is it allowed to do HTTP Basic authentication
?