On 16/06/2016 18:26, Lyallex wrote:
> A while ago I posted a bug
>
> Yesterday I got a message saying it had been fixed. nice :-)
> However I am in the process of trying to get a development environment
> up so that I could try and figure this one out for myself. It's no big
> deal, I'll proceed with the project but for future reference how do I
> know that someone has picked up one of 'my' bugs and is currently
> working on it.

I'll turn that around. How was anyone meant to know that you were
working on it?

> I subscribed to bugzilla emails for the bug but this is
> the first I've heard

To provide a little background, the ASF Bugzilla instances are patched
to hard-code the 'Assigned to' field to the appropriate dev list. This
is to ensure that the dev list always receives e-mails for every bug change.

Generally, the Tomcat committers will comment on a bug as they make
progress on it. If, like 59399, the fix is simple, it is likely that the
first you will see of this is a comment to say it is fixed. If it is
more complicated, then you are likely to see additional comments either
reporting progress or asking for more information. It is also possible
that there may be some additional discussion on the dev list. If you are
interested in working on Tomcat then it is worth subscribing to the dev
list.

If you want to work on a bug then the simplest thing to do is to add a
comment to that effect to the bug. Of course, if time passes and there
is no sign of progress, someone else may well start working on it anyway.

HTH,

Mark