Hi Renaud,

I tried this and now the content within the <context>-Element is preserved. Now I got it working, but I had to put the attribut override="true" in the <Context>-Element. At first I didn't do that and then all additional attributes (like reloadable="true") had been ignored. Even the Resource, which was correctly shown in the Tomcat administration tool within the web-app was not visible for my web-app (Exception " Name jdbc is not bound in this Context"). I find this "override" attribut a bit confusing, since if I *create* a context.xml I already want to override any default settings for which I put something else in context.xml... Anyway, your solution worked for me finally, too. Thank you very much, Renaud.

Timm

Renaud Waldura schrieb:

Hello Timm:

I didn't get this to work, but found a workaround that's enough for my needs. I honestly think it's a bug. I've searched the Tomcat bug database, and there seem to be lots of things broken with deployment.

I wanted to deploy my application using the Tomcat Manager, pointing it to the directory where the application resides -- using the field labeled "WAR or Directory URL", see attached screenshot. In that directory I have a META-INF/context.xml with resource configuration.

As you did, I found out that doing this copies myapp/META-INF/context.xml to CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/myapp.xml but erases its content. The application gets deployed right the first time; any subsequent time, resource configuration is missing and the application will fail. It deploys OK, but e.g. won't talk to the database because the configuration information is not there.

What I do now is use the second field "XML configuration file URL" instead, and enter the full path to my context.xml, eg. file:/home/renaud/myapp/META-INF/context.xml. This context.xml must contain the proper path to the application in the docBase attribute, eg. docBase="/home/renaud/myapp". Let me know if this works for you.

--Renaud

I want to configure a JDBC-Resource within the Context of my web-app.
I placed a <Resource>-entry and a <ResourceParams>-entry as
child-elements of <Context> in the META-INF/contxt.xml-file. When I
deployed my app (via a file-URL) it gets configured accordingly at
first, but the resulting xml-file in conf\Catalina\localhost for the
web-app does not contain any child-elements within the <Context>-Tag
any more. So when I need to restart Tomcat my web-app is not
configured with the Resource anymore. I also tried to use the
override-Attribute, but this does not do any difference. I cannot
place the Resource in the server.xml since I have no access to it. So
my question is: How can I configure a Resource for a single web-app
only without using server.xml ? I'm using Tomcat 5.0.28.