On 14/07/2016 20:26, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I got this error from the Tomcat Web Application Manager after having stopped
> and started one of the applications multiple times.  (This was after
> repeatedly deploying the application manually to attempt to find a bug that I
> could not reproduce in my IDE.)  Once the error occurred, the server was
> extremely sluggish to respond even to remote desktop mouse and keyboard
> events.
>
> FYI, I deploy the app by stopping it on the Tomcat web manager, deleting
> almost everything out of the app folder using file manager, copying the new
> files and folders in, then starting the app from the Tomcat manager.
>
> Here's the error:
>
> FAIL - Application at context path /someapp could not be started
> FAIL - Encountered exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
>
> Is this likely due to a memory leak in my application?

Yes.

>  Or does it have something to do with me doing so many repeated deployments?

Also yes.

>  Or perhaps simply from restarting the app so many times?

Stop/start has the same effect as redeploy in this case.

>  I might try an experiment to see how many times I can stop/start the app
> before the error next occurs.
>
> OS: Win Server 2012 R2
> Java: 1.6.0_24  (oops, need to upgrade that now)
> Tomcat: 6.0.37  (hmm... will need to upgrade soon-ish)

Indeed. Some upgrades are certainly in order. Not least because some of
the potential sources of memory leaks are JVM bugs that are fixed in the
lastest Java 8 releases.

This is probably a useful read:
http://people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/2010-11-04-Memory-Leaks-60mins.pdf

Despite the age, it is still very relevant today.

Mark