Mary -
First, sorry for the top-post.

I noticed in your original post that you have upgraded to the latest Java 8,
and nearly latest Windows version (at least new than the release available when
Tomcat 5.5 was first available).  I don't understand why you can't just go
ahead and upgrade to the latest Tomcat 8 or 8.5 implementation.  As others have
said, it is quite likely that your application will run just fine.
Without more details of your exact implementation environment, I can't give
full advice, but here are some things to take into account:

1) If you are terminating SSL at the IIS7 client interface, then that is where
you need to enable HSTS. It only needs to be on the IIS7-Tomcat conversation if
that is also using SSL on its linkage (not normally needed for an internal
network, but your requirements may specify otherwise).  Strip it out of headers
on the way to Tomcat and add it back on the way to client if necessary.

2) When going from such an old Version of Tomcat to a newer one, be aware that
Tomcat configuration files and options HAVE changed.  You cannot just copy
server.xml, context.xml, etc. files from the old version to the new.  You must
migrate your settings to the new versions.  This is not that difficult or
time-consuming, but it is best to do this manually.

3) Beware of any changes to provided valves/filters that you rely on.  Changes
to those in new versions may require you to handle them differently.

4) Do this all in a test/dev environment, possibly several times, before even
thinking about changing production.

5) If the addition of an additional/unknown HTTP header is causing problems
with your backend processing, then you have more problems than you think you
do. You application is in violation of the most basic tenets of the HTTP
protocol stack, as those headers should just be ignored according to the
protocol.  Your application may stop working correctly in the next few months
even without you doing anything to your current setup.

Respectfully,
Jeff