Hello,

I have managed to test this use case on the server revealing the issue with
the latest tomcat release (7.0.72). I still can observe the issue on
catalina.out side: a broken pipe exception pops up and a recycle is shown
for the async context but no complete.

Oct 10, 2016 4:41:07 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessor setErrorState
INFO: An error occurred in processing while on a non-container thread. The
connection will be closed immediately
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.$$YJP$$socketWrite0(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(SocketOutputStream.java)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:109)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:153)
    at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(InternalOutputBuffer.java:215)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.flushBuffer(ByteChunk.java:480)
    at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.endRequest(InternalOutputBuffer.java:159)
    at
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.action(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:761)
    at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:174)
    at org.apache.coyote.Response.finish(Response.java:274)
    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.close(OutputBuffer.java:322)
    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteOutputStream.close(CoyoteOutputStream.java:108)
Oct 10, 2016 4:41:07 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AsyncContextImpl logDebug
FINE: Req: 2de85b25  CReq: 70e2c044  RP: 1dff11c5  Stage: 7  Thread:
http-bio-8080-exec-8  State:                  N/A  Method: recycle
URI:
/www/delivery/swfIndex.php?reqType=AdsSetup&protocolVersion=2.0&zoneId=5335

On application logs side the behavior changed a bit as I now have a
IllegalStateException:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: It is illegal to call this method if the
current request is not in asynchronous mode (i.e. isAsyncStarted() returns
false)
    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.getAsyncContext(Request.java:1740)
~[catalina.jar:7.0.72]

In the end, the situation seems pretty similar. The container appears to
recycle the request without completing the async context and I can't
complete on application side as the request I have is now recycled.

Thanks,
Thomas