Chris,

Great point.  You are correct.  Kaushal will need both.  Profiling will help
find hotspots.  I have used Eclipse and jvmtop, but prefer JVisualVM ( ships
with JDK ) with the sampling plugin.  Decent, cheap to run, high level numbers
that help identify hotspots.  But, it will depend on how small of a needle you
are looking for.

Even once you have profile, you will want to load test.  In fact, you may even
want to run a load test while you profile - just be aware that profilers have a
cost that varies from small to molasses behavior inducing.

In any case hopefully we are giving Kaushal something useful to go on.