Kumar,

On 11/16/16 5:01 PM, Mohan Kumar wrote:
> I'm using Tomcat 6.0.29 version with Java 1.6.0_45 on Windows
> server 2008 and started noticing SSL related information in
> Catalina logs recently.

Upgrade upgrade upgrade! All 3 of those components are hideously old.

>> From the logs it looks like SSL is getting enabled for JDBC. Any
>> help to
> understand why the below information shows up in catalina logs
> would be much appreciated? There is nothing that got changed in the
> JDBC datasource configuration recently and the application uses SQL
> server 2008.
>
>> From catalina.log
>
> Oct 31, 2016 10:18:26 AM com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel
> enableSSL INFO: java.security path: C:\Program
> Files\Java\jre6\lib\security Security providers: [SUN version 1.6,
> SunRsaSign version 1.5, SunJSSE version 1.6, SunJCE version 1.6,
> SunJGSS version 1.0, SunSASL version 1.5, XMLDSig version 1.0,
> SunPCSC version 1.6, SunMSCAPI version 1.6] SSLContext provider
> info: Sun JSSE provider(PKCS12, SunX509 key/trust factories, SSLv3,
> TLSv1)

It looks like the MS JDBC driver is logging some stuff at the INFO log
level. I wouldn't have put that at the INFO level, but ... whatever.

> Oct 31, 2016 10:18:26 AM org.apache.naming.NamingContext lookup
> WARNING: Unexpected exception resolving reference
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Error preloading
> the connection pool at
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicData
Source.java:1398)

at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getLogWriter(BasicDataSource
.java:1098)
> at
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory.createDataSource(Ba
sicDataSourceFactory.java:350)

at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory.getObjectInstance(Bas
icDataSourceFactory.java:156)
> at
> org.moss.jdj.dbcp.EncryptedDataSourceFactory.getObjectInstance(Encrypt
edDataSourceFactory.java:25)

> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289) at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
> Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The
> driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by
> using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "SQL Server
> returned an incomplete response. The connection has been closed.".

Looks like your JDBC driver can't make a secure connection to the SQL
Server instance.

Are you expecting to use TLS to connect to your db?

Have you checked to see if your client's or server's certificates have
expired or have some other problem? Perhaps you are being MITMd.