On 20.12.2016 22:42, Mary Wiegand wrote:
I was using a specific walk through to install Tomcat and everything that's
needed with it.
I downloaded the installer from tomcat to the /tmp file and then extracted
it and installed it to the /opt/tomcat dir.
Which I had to make the directory. Should I just start over with a
different guide?

I think so. Because from what you describe below, I believe that you are trying to run a standard Tomcat downloaded from tomcat.apache.org, with the startup scripts of an Ubuntu (different) Tomcat package. That is unlikely to work out of the box.

Thanks

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Mary Wiegand <naviak.kai...@gmail.com>