Subject: Re: JIO Connector support in Tomcat 8.5

From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>

Date: Feb 13, 2017, 18:58

To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>

Amit,

On 2/13/17 6:55 PM, Amit Pande wrote:
> As I understand, the JIO/BIO connector support has been dropped in
> Tomcat 8.5 +.

Correct.

> While I understand the need to push to the NIO based connectors,
> just wondering whether the JIO connector support could have been
> left as it in Tomcat 8.5 and beyond.

No.

> We had extended the BIO connector to have a custom implementation
> and that is broken now once we move to latest Tomcat versions.

You will have to figure something out.

Why did you need to create your own connector?

> We're evaluating refactoring our custom connector but would
> appreciate if there are any suggestions to get the BIO
> implementation going even in 8.5 and beyond so that our custom
> connector's functionality isn't regressed.

BIO is problematic because of many requirements for non-blocking
behavior. It's easy to emulate blocking behavior (e.g.
ServletRequest.getInputStream) based upon non-blocking building blocks
(e.g. NIO connector) but next to impossible to emulate non-blocking
behavior (websocket, comet, etc.) using blocking building blocks (BIO
connector).

Unfortunately, the reality is that a blocking I/O connector is no
longer feasible for Tomcat.

So... what does your custom connector do? Perhaps there's a better way
to achieve your goal, or perhaps Tomcat's connectors could be
re-factored to make it easier to customize something specific for you
without having to re-write the whole connector.